Monday, February 22, 2016

Piiza #7 Pizzeria Uno

Pizzeria Uno is on the other side of town and it really might not have been in my 50 cheese pizzas except for one important thing - they had a coupon in the paper and so Chuck thought it would be a good place to try cheese pizza.  Here he is at his happiest - holding his coupon!
And so we found ourselves driving to the western part of the city to try out their Chicago style deep dish pizza.  We got there at about 1:30 in the afternoon - a favorite dining time for us because it is usually not at all crowded and it was not.  We were seated at a very comfortable booth in the bar area.  This reminded Chuck of a pub with brick walls,wood tables,  stone floor, the requisite Buckeye paraphernalia, tiffany lamps and reminders that this is the Chicago Pizza.
The menu is really full of much more than pizza.  I decided to do a pick two which included a buffalo chicken salad and 6 inch cheese pizza.  Chuck just got a small strawberry walnut salad.  We placed our orders at 1:36, got the salads at 1:47 and the pizza at 1:52.  The salads were VERY good and we would both definitely come back for them.
The pizza was deep dish and it also had chunks of tomatoes in it.  Chuck kept saying "what a cute little pizza." and here is a picture of me with it.


It tasted really good - cheesy, gooey, and tomatoey.  The crust was really bready  and filling.  The whole thing was so rich that i could only eat half of it.   Chuck loves bread and so was a bigger fan of this pizza than me.  I also did not like so much tomato flavor.  I know this is good pizza - but not necessarily for one who is looking for CHEESE pizza.

Another reason why Chuck might not want to go to this restaurant is that it is part of a chain.  He is always partial to the "greasy spoon" and the "neighborhood dive."  However, what was interesting is that as soon as we sat down he told me it reminded him of when he went to a pizzeria uno in Baltimore Maryland.  It was the day before my mother died and he was eating there with my brothers and I had my last time alone with my mother.  They brought me pizza afterward.  And so the blessing of remembering that holy time because we were here in another Pizzeria Uno in Columbus.  Maybe chain restaurants can have a way of holding surprising memories for us.

This restaurant is really comfortable and warm.  If it were in my neighborhood, I would come here over and over again - probably not for the cheese pizza - but for the ambiance, the salads, and of course, the beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment