Friday, February 5, 2016

Pizza # 5 Marcella's Italian Kitchen

I had been to Marcella's before but never had their pizza and as an "Italian Kitchen" surely they would have good pizza.

This time my companion was my friend Melanie who has gone to more movies with me since her retirement than she probably has in the last decade.  We have really enjoyed $5 movies and free popcorn on Tuesdays!  But I digress.

I learned a few things at this restaurant.  First,  those in the know pronounce Marcella's as MarCHella"s.   It is a Cameron Mitchell restaurant named after an actual person who pronounced her name like that.

Second, because it was lunch time and I was in the mood, I passed on the beer and ordered Pinot Grigio.  And it was served in a very different wine glass - the waitress called "Tuscan."  I never heard of that before!


We  were delighted to find that we could order a half pizza and a chopped salad for lunch. Melanie was able to get a gluten free pizza and I had a regular one.  I ordered the four cheese pizza (ricotta, mozarella, romano, parmesan)  and it turned out they had a new one so I had a choice.  Melanie got the new one with tomato sauce and I got the old one without.


There were some disappointments in the food.  First we got served our bread.  The waitress eventually brought some gluten free for Melanie.  Mine was good but cold and I could not help but think a minute or two in the oven would have made a big difference.

And then there was the pizza.  As I tasted it, I thought there was something different about it from the other pizzas I have eaten up to this point.  And I had a word in mind but asked Melanie for her opinion. She  took one little bite and pronounced it "bland" and that joined with my words: "blah" and "Boring."  It may have been the seasoning because it was mostly just cheese.  I tried her pizza and felt that the tomato flavors overpowered the cheese.





The restaurant itself is nice - brick walls, wood floors and soft rock music in the background.  It does not really have any booths and I have a feeling that if it were crowded and busy  it would be too much noise for me.

So, Marcella's may not be the place for pizza for me and definitely a restaurant I would want to go to "off hours" to have the best experience. 

PS - We went to the Lady's room afterward and I was impressed with the mouthwash and hairspray they provided.  That is a really nice touch!



No comments:

Post a Comment