Monday, January 11, 2016

Pizza #2 Plank's Cafe and Pizzeria

Today Chuck and I ventured to planks restaurant in Parsons Avenue to try out their award winning pizza.  

One of our sources for Pizza sites is a 2013 article from the Columbus Monthly listing  the best Pizza places in Columbus and "Plank's Cafe and Pizzeria" was listed.  The article said that they use 100 per cent smoked provolone and "somewhat controversially add sugar to their dough, and the resulting super-sweet pies are the city's ultimate - love it or hat it option."

The only reason that I know that they are "award winning" is that it said so on the menu!.
They did not say what the award was, however.

Anyway, we met our friends John and Marsha and were really delighted with the service and the ambiance of the restaurant.  Marsha and John arrived first and our waitress had already moved them to a table that might be quieter and when we came she encouraged us to make sure the table didn't wobble.  She was older (my age!) and kind of grandmotherly and I liked that she called Chuck "sweetie."

I ordered a ten inch cheese pizza,  an anti pasta salad and a bud light and Chuck order roast beef and mashed potatoes.  Marsha and John got a small salad and a hawaiian pizza.  The salads came first and it's a good thing we aren't rating that - because my salad was a disappointment.  Not worth the money.
Although she did bring 5 pieces of pepparoni - but it was not really anti pasta!

The pizza came within twenty minutes and it was hot, gooey, cheesy and good.  Good enough.
It was sweet and I guess that is where personal preference comes in.  And ultimately I was not crazy about the aftertaste of a sweet pizza.

However, I really liked the restaurant for its charm.  It is old and rustic with barn siding, brick walls, wooden floors and lots of OSU paraphenalia. There were TV's for watching football and I particularly liked the background music which was of my era..  I noticed Marsha moving to the music as she ate and at the end they even played a song by Herman's Hermits!

Chuck loves Planks for the meal that he ate. So, overall I would say NO to the pizza experience and YES to roast beef and mashed potatoes.


2 comments: